In this policy, "us", "we" or "our" means My Practical Support Proprietary Limited (“MPS”) (ABN 32 605 272 857) and its related bodies corporate.
We value the privacy of your personal information. We are committed to handling your personal information responsibly and in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
What is “personal information”?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
• Whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
• Whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
This policy sets out:
• what kind of information we collect;
• how we collect it;
• why we collect it;
• how we use it;
• how we disclose it;
• opting in and out;
• management and security;
• how to seek access to and update your personal information; and
• how to contact us.
What kind of information we collect
In general, the personal information we collect about you includes (but is not limited to) your name, date of birth and contact details (including phone numbers, e-mail and postal addresses).
Depending on the type of product or service you select we may also hold the following information about you:
• Government issued identification numbers such as Tax file number, driving license or passport number, where you have given it to us;
• Payment card number or bank account details;
• Insurance claim information, where this is relevant;
• Your employment information;
• Your salary;
• The names and addresses of your dependants or beneficiaries; and / or
• Other information that you have given us.
We may also collect sensitive information such as:
• Health or medical information;
• Racial or ethnic origin;
• Sexual preferences or practices;
• Membership of political, professional or trade associations; and / or
• Criminal convictions and driving offences.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to process your application, administer your policy, assess your claim or supply the requested service / product.
We generally recommend that you do not publish or communicate personal information (or at least limit the personal information that you publish or communicate) to the public via our services, such as in our classifieds, forums or blogs (Non-Confidential Information). You acknowledge that we cannot control any third party collection or use of your Non-Confidential Information. You agree that we may use and disclose Non-Confidential Information for any purpose and by any means whatsoever.
How we collect it
We may collect your personal information from a variety of sources.
We may collect your information from:
• You directly;
• Mailing Lists;
• Recruitment Agencies;
• Publically available sources of information; and/or
• Other parties including:
o Your intermediary or professional adviser(s);
o Other insurers, reinsurers or distribution partners;
o Our service providers and business partners;
o Government, statutory or regulatory body and law enforcement bodies;
o Other third parties; and / or
o Any one that you have authorised to deal with us.
We may collect your personal information when you request or acquire a product or service from us, register with us as a member, provide a product or service to us, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition or event, contribute in a fundraising event, participate in our services (including our TV or catalogue programs, blogs and forums) or when you communicate with us by e-mail, telephone or in writing (for example if you contact customer service to make a complaint or provide feedback).
Why we collect it
The primary purpose for which we collect information about you is to provide you with products and services you have requested. We also collect information about you for the purposes outlined below. We may state a more specific purpose at the point we collect your information.
If you do not provide us with the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services. For example, if you do not register as a member of a website, you will not be able to access features or services that are reserved only for members.
How we use it
In addition to the primary purpose outlined above, we may use the personal information we collect, and you consent to us using your personal information:
• to provide you with news and information about our products and services;
• to send marketing and promotional material that we believe you may be interested in. This material may relate to any of MPS’ businesses or a third party business which we believe may be of interest to you;
• for purposes necessary or incidental to the provision of goods and services to or by you;
• to personalise and customise your experiences;
• to manage and enhance our products and services;
• to assess your request / application / claim;
• to communicate with you, including by email, mail or telephone;
• to conduct competitions or promotions on behalf of My Practical Support and selected third parties;
• to verify your identity;
• to investigate any complaints about or made by you, or if we have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of our terms and conditions or that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity; and/or as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
How we disclose it
We may disclose personal information, and you consent to us disclosing your personal information, to other associated members of the MPS businesses (in which case, your personal information will be collected, used, disclosed, managed and stored in accordance with this policy).
We may also disclose personal information, and you consent to us disclosing your personal information, to third parties:
• engaged by us to perform functions or provide products and services on our behalf, such as sponsors, processing credit card information, mail outs, debt collection, marketing, research and advertising (typically our agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners);
• that sponsor or promote any competition that we conduct or promote via our services;
• authorised by you to receive information held by us;
• as part of any investigation into you or your activity. For example, if we have reason to suspect that you have committed a breach of any of our terms and conditions, or have otherwise been engaged in any unlawful activity, and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to the Police, any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator;
• as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of our business; and/or
• as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
Opting in or out
At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information other than in accordance with this policy or any applicable law. For example, you may be asked to opt-in to receive further information or communications from our advertisers and supporters which do not fall into one of the categories described above.
If you receive communications purporting to be connected with us or our services that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please write to us using breach of policy heading on the Contact Us page.
Marketing Opt Out
If you wish only to receive communications that are account related or legally required, you may request not to receive other communications (i.e. you may “opt out”).
You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving communications from us or from third parties that send communications to you in accordance with this policy. For example, you will be given the option to unsubscribe from e-newsletters and other marketing or promotional material sent by us. You may “opt out” from receiving these communications by either clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of an email or by updating your personal details on your Member page. You may also cancel your account on the Member page. If you wish to make an opt-out request, you can do so at any time by letting MPS know of your request in writing using the designated marketing opt out on the MPS Contact Us page.
Management and security
Other than in relation to Non-Confidential Information, we will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, including by means of firewalls, password access, secure servers and encryption of credit card transactions.
However, you acknowledge that the security of online transactions and the security of communications sent by electronic means or by post cannot be guaranteed. You provide information to us via the internet or by post at your own risk. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information where the security of information is not within our control.
You acknowledge that we are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party (including to third parties you have permitted us to disclose your personal information to in accordance with this policy or any applicable laws). The collection and use of your information by such third parties may be subject to separate privacy and security policies.
If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please immediately let us know.
How to seek access to and update your personal information and how to contact us
Subject to some exceptions in the Privacy Act, you have the right to request access to your personal information that we hold about you, and if applicable, to request correction. If you make an access request, we will ask you to verify your identity. In some circumstances, we may charge a fee for giving you access, which will vary but will be based on our costs (internal and external) in locating the information and the form of access you require. If we propose to charge a fee for giving access, we will give you an estimate of the fee so you can confirm that you still want us to give you access to the information. We do not impose any charge for lodging a request for access.
Members of our websites will generally be able to access and update their membership details online.
Please tell us if some of the personal information we hold is wrong as we want our records to be accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. Unless we disagree with you about the accuracy or completeness of a record, we will generally correct it on request, (or suggest alternative arrangements for updating our records).
If we are unable to give you access or correct your personal information, we will tell you and provide you with reasons.
If you would like to seek access to personal information we hold about you, or if you have any questions or complaints about how we collect, use, disclose, manage or store your personal information, you can send your written request here via contact us page in the first instance, or write to:
My Practical Support
PO Box 1943
TOOMBUL QLD 4012
My Practical Support Proprietary Limited (ABN 32 605 272 857).